Tuesday 12 December 2017

HIVE MIND


While waiting for the Brooklyn train at Columbus Circle in New York City, I took several photographs of the opposite platform ( above being the best one ). I liked how all the commuters were neatly framed by the metal girders. Once I looked closely at the pictures on the computer screen, it became obvious just how many of the people were looking at their phones, to the exclusion of all else. A ubiquitous scene from modern life.


Is it purely artists, or Homeland Security that take a neighbourly interest these days? 





It's kind of depressing how dependent we are on these gadgets. Personally, I prefer to carry a book when I'm commuting. I find carbon-based media much more reliable.

Aside from that, I love the painterly rendering that zooming-in achieves on these iPhone 4 pics.* There even appears to be a faint halo/outline effect around some of the figures.

NEW EDIT ( below ): The lady in the blue jacket is a fascinating focal point, so here's a 'Portmanteau Edit' of the same scene, which looks even better!


*Self-aware alert: If I was that into carbon-based media, I would be standing there sketching, like in the good old days - not messing with an iPhone like everyone else in these pictures.

8¬[